Visit to a centre for Street Wanderers- Illam

Recently I had been a spectator to the remarkable common-civic-sense of people of Tamilnadu. There was a big river of cars and bikes waiting for this traffic signal to become green and flow. Somewhere in the back the siren of Ambulance was heard and I turn around to see an ambulance coming from some distance back. In no moment the car in the front and middle start making way just as if the steamer were flowing in the river. I was impressed what if same thing happens in other states and cities.
I have had chosen this day (Sunday, 15 Dec 2013) to spend with the special people of a center about which I vaguely knew except for my friend who lend her bike to me reach there. I always have had the belief that giving ones time was the most precious gift one can give to another. "Money is important but not the only and not the priority". Having done my prayers I left for the all-day event at around 6AM. Since I was new to this place and had to look for important signboards along my pre-destined route I preceded slowly. We (my friend along after midway) reached this place at 8:30AM.  
Here I learnt, later, it was a rehabilitation center for street wanderers. The people brought here were not just poor but those whose life had become worse than even dust. Thanks to the Rev. father Guttickal who founded this charitable trust and gave home and reason for these people to live. The transformation which I was told and could observe in the people brought here was remarkable. To name it the place was called ‘Parisutha Narkarunai Illam’ in  Tamil and meant home for abandoned people.
What we did here? We were here to sponsor the special lunch for all the 200 residents of this Illam. Yes money was required and so 'the group' funded it. While the chefs got busy in cooking Biryani and others I took the moment to visit around this place. I found it strange when some of the women were locked inside chamber and they asked me to release them. They spoke Hindi, Telugu and others. I was flattered by their language and so did I ask my friend the reason for them being locked. I was informed later that one of them gave birth to a son there itself and till date she doesn’t recognize her own, now 2 year old son. Sister Macrina, I met, a strong hearted lady and the caretaker of this Illam explains.
Some were found sleeping on streets in dying condition and some wandering naked. Some were left by men after pregnancy while some medically diseased were left for their fate. The reasons could be many but what was obvious that certain trauma had occurred with these people and they lost their consciousness.
Today I could see many changed lives. When I saw the photos of each of them when they were brought and compared them to today my eyes were godsend. What a transformation! The hygiene had improved; they were medically fit and disease-free. They prayed and sang and did their daily jobs required. What more was astounding that there was no finite source of finance! In what Sister Macrina claims, "God is the source and he is the caretaker". Vegetable sellers from nearby market would send once in week a lorry filled with vegetable. Randomly other people like us would contribute Rice, Dal and other food grains.
Here I introduce the other members in this great cause who came as the sun rose higher in the day. These were Prasad and his brother, Murughi and his wife, Prakash, the three Karthik(s) and Saranya. We move to the dining hall where we get the plates ready. After a small prayer we start serving them. While serving I was moving to and fro capturing photos as well. It could not have gone unheeded what I found difficult to comprehend then. There was a sudden rush in their hands and mouth to eat the food. Many eyes were staring at me and I could see the galaxy full of stories in them. I was startled and my eyes slowly moistened. I felt very heavy at my heart and my feelings were very different than earlier.
"I was lost in the silence of the nearby fields,
I was freshened by the fast moving winds,
I felt wonderful away from the daily mundane,
I felt within me the human being."
Thereafter we had a group lunch and group photo. Shortly after that we bade the sister and the place b-bye. Happy Christmas to all! :) 
The address of the place:
Parisutha Narkarunai Illam
#150, Annai Marai Colony, Veerapuram
Avadi, Chennai- 055
Mobile: 9444864360 (Sister Macrina)