फूलो की घाटी राष्ट्रीय उद्यान, Valley of Flowers National Park


It took me some time to pin on where I wanted to visit this monsoon. I needed a break. I wanted it to be someplace where I can feel rejuvenated and renewed with lot of good energy. At the same time I lacked both the time and expertise to plan things myself. Least I could do was to search for a group and I found an event created by the wonderful lady (let me call her Ms V here) who was to trek to Valley of Flowers (VoF). VoF was in my mind for some time and without spending any more time on further research I asked her to include me. This was nearly two weeks before travel.



I had to buy few things and with the help of Ms V, I completed my purchase the same day we met. We met for the first time in Ninex-CCD where we saw other trekkers of our group. This is one novel idea where people going for first time or those who do not know their fellow trekkers have the time and opportunity to see, familiarize and set an understanding in their mind. For me specifically, it helps as I can greet the person the very next time we meet. As we set on our journey we greet each other, put our backpacks on top of carrier and embark with excitement and smile on our faces.

It rained when we started from Delhi. This strengthened my belief that I am on a right pursuit. Even the regular traffic jam passed with ease. There was something unusual about the usual. After picking all the co-travelers we sped out of Delhi passing via Ghaziabad, Meerut, Haridwar and to reach Rishikesh for overnight stay.

The Journey - the beauty of nature when seen from our tempo-traveler

How many organizers care to bring 'cake' for celebration? Or better said who spends time, energy in making one by self. Ms V made an eggless chocolate cake which is one of the tastiest I have had ever eaten. Lucky are we and lucky was Rashmi who coincidentally had her birthday the same day (12th August). It was such a yummy cake that I could not resist but take more and more share of it. It brought a certain disposition in my mind that the person I am travelling with has more answers to our expectations than the expectation itself.
Cake cutting ceremony mid way - on the way to Rishikesh


After a brief stop for tea again and then for dinner at Dana Pani Restaurant, we continued our journey to Rishikesh where we were to spend our night. The planning was done keeping in mind the long vehicle journey we would have done from Delhi.

Sound Sleep - on the banks of river Ganga, Rishikesh

Early next morning we got ready and had some snacks before leaving for our next stopover which was Joshimath.
Between the two of Panch Prayags
We registered our vehicle at RTO and then ourselves at tourist registration center at ISBT, Rishikesh. Below pictures shall tell you about our road experience. This was to become one of my most beautiful road memories.



View from Rishikesh ISBT
हमारे सफर का साथी 
Another Amma Canteen
Route Map


 



The sight of Alaknanda from heights always enchanted me, excited me through out the journey. Whenever on my side I used to look out of my window to record the view of mighty Alaknanda flowing swiftly. The rapids and waterfalls on way could not but make me gaze and gaze on them. The clouds above us, sometimes below us (and sometimes with us) seemed to hug the mountains. The cluster of houses on slopes of mountains and in valley sides were as if speaking to me, to come and settle with them. The view outside was churning so many things inside me. I was singing, jumping on my seat, talking to the winds passing by, and taking photos of serene surrounding outside. And to add, this was made all the more exciting by rest of 12 people inside the traveler.

Dev Prayag - देव प्रयाग 

Landslide - we come across many!




Alaknanda - अलकनन्दा 



So all in all things went smoothly till now. The ride was good, the people were (are) awesome. One of the best thing about this group was there was an unending supply of cookies, snacks, chocolates and many other eatable items. Praveen and their family could not stop sharing. It gave a very good feeling. I secretly enjoyed. And with this I re-learnt that 'Sharing is Caring'.
We reached right on time for dinner at Hotel Auli D at Joshimath. Here you can see the tired but not the less excited angels walking from tempo traveler to the rooms.
Hotel Auli D, Joshimath
After dinner, we all retired to our rooms to get set for next morning. Until now we had done our journey in vehicle. The next day was going to be the beginning of our trek. Accordingly, as per instructions, announced by Ms V we have had to pack our day-packs.

Early morning was such a beautiful moment at Joshimath. The view from our rooms was captivating. I felt I was (indeed) among the clouds. With a quick breakfast and transfer of bags to traveler we started for our journey to Govindghat. On the way we were to see Vishnu Prayag i.e. the point of confluence of Alaknanda and Dhauliganga. In fact our trek was along the tributary of Dhauliganga from Govindghat to Ghangeria. The moments from there are something I shall cherish throughout my life. The Mother Nature has so much to show, so much to teach, to we, her children.
View from the room window - Morning



Clouds hugging Mountains or vice-versa





Landslides and Landslides
Here we make first introduction of one of our members, Ms Sunita. She, as you can see in this photo, is a very dynamic lady. She is a fast pacer. She loves to take photos and is a very interesting person. She can jell within any group and is quick as well as good at ice-breaking. We had some nice selfie-moments.
1. Sunita
2. Ravi
Vishnuprayag - विष्णु प्रयाग 


Govindghat
From Govindghat our 10+ kms trek started. We walked along the tributary of Dhauliganga. We saw many waterfalls. We reached Ghangeria in the evening and to dine on time. It was very cold and I managed to slip into the warmth of bed that gave me the most awesome sleep. I woke up sometime in the night feeling as if I had slept for more than my usual hours. I checked my clock to realize that it was some more hours before I could come out and actually find someone to talk. That night I completed my leftover sleeps from many nights.
Early next morning we got ready. As it was very cold and there was hardly electricity available, we had to ask for hot water. And everything was obliged to with smile and quickness. It was such a wonderful arrangement. After a quick and steady breakfast we took on our gears, day pack to start for the most awaited Valley of Flowers Trek. Here I want to mention two other important personalities. They are our guide Dinesh and Mukesh. This trip could have been no less than chaos and confusion had it not been for them. The most beautiful part of them was their innocence, humbleness and utmost concern and respect for each one of us (and our requests). The day was bright and thanks to almighty it did not rain for that would mean the postponement of our trek to VoF!
These are experiences that can only be gained by self and not be explained. However, I hope the images that follow can give the reader the best of understanding.

Valley of Flowers National Park - a UNESCO, World Heritage Site




Here I would like to introduce you to another team member, Ms Rashmi. She is a very understanding lady. A Chemistry teacher when not on tours, she makes tasty parathas. I cannot forget the taste of the one I had at the start of trip. She is a talkative person like me and can strike conversation anywhere anytime. "क्या जी? सही पकडे है ?" :-)
3. Rashmi

We have Mr Praveen aka the singer in next photo. Throughout the journey, when we were in tempo (pun intended), his melodious voice filled the vacuum inside. I heard he is great at Pulav, and I expect to eat on someday, and thereafter regularly. :-) A UCB Man who I guess would even dream in UCB land, is an awesome person and a father. As one can see in this photo, non-violence and satya reflect in the way he carries his stick.
4. Praveen

Here comes Ms Ritisha. Well, she amazed me when she sang on our return journey. For most of the time I could not talk to her. Her hobby it seems to me is taking photos of nature. Apart from that she is a good human being. I was charmed by her humility when she carried 'Gulab Jamun' for some of us at Hotel Auli.
5. Ritisha

Here comes the original 'dude' of our group. My young friend Mr Manas. He is one of the smartest kid I have ever met. The credit here must also be shared with parents who have imbibed in the child great discipline and respect for others. Throughout most of my journey, he was my companion. With such discipline, I can vouch, Manas will go a long way in life.
6. Manas


Feeling of Victory on reaching the destination - into Valley of Flowers




Panoramic View of Valley of Flowers

Here comes our Guide #1 Mr. Mukesh. This trek was made simpler and I became carefree, thanks to our guides. His help made this event successful.
xx. Mukesh
Now as you can see in this photo below, we have had a babaji, Ms Nancy. Sitting in the Padmasana pose with her right hand in abhayamudra, her bright face made us all happy. She is a powerhouse. One has to be ready with answers as she can turn the tables and challenge anyone. I enjoyed her company, especially because she cared for me. She always used to bring me into conversations and this made me very happy. She is a simple lady and I pray that things remain simple throughout in her life .
7. Nancy


Sometimes I also like my photo being taken! ;)


Few photos that I captured among the diversity of Valley of Flowers

My Love - Pushpavati - Nothing could inspire me more than her

A silent spectator. An amazing person when it comes to travelling experience, here is Ms. Manju. She looks tough from outside but is very soft from heart. She is a secret gang leader. She has traveled a lot and we spoke a lot on her Odisha trip. Having known her, I need not worry anymore when in conflict, I know whom to call. In next of the photos, she can be seen flowing our national flag, beautifully.

8. Manju
Our independence day celebrations coincided with our Valley of Flowers trek. What a better opportunity than today to flow our flag and at such a height and colorful place.


Here comes the Macho man of our trip, Mr Siddhartha. I would better call him 'Robocop'. He was my roommate and personally I know him as an awesome human being. If not for him half of my time would have passed boring. The bike ride in Joshimath and the walk-for-milk are two of the things I enjoyed very much. He can bring spice in any company (read here as V-company). It was good for me to hear of his experiences and I can tell for sure, he is a great father.
9. Siddhartha
"A lawyer on the trip?", this is what I thought when I heard of Ms Shomila. Before I write few lines I want to claim a disclaimer here ( ), "All things said are fictitious and their resemblance to any person would be purely coincidental". Jokes apart, she is a bold lady and always makes her needs and points loud and clear. She is stylish and her smile is very beautiful. I think her aura can motivate people to bring out the best in them.
10. Shomila
Here comes the organizer Ms V aka Vandy or Ms Vandana. If you see her photos you may be mistaken to think of her as in 20s or 30s. And I wouldn't be surprised if someone thought so after participating with her in treks. Her 'Life-ka-funda' is very crisp and clear. I could not stop writing here about things that I experienced in this trek. She makes sure that each and every person with her is taken care of. She is different and better than those I have heard of who take you for trek in the Himalayas. In Wordsworth's words from the poem Daffodils, "..The waves beside them danced but they outdid the sparkling waves in glee, A poet could not but be gay in such a jocund company..". I wish her all the best for her new endeavour, TVZ.
11. Vandana
I cannot miss another person here, our Guide Mr Dinesh. He, me and Manas were almost always the front runners. He is a person who did not shy from helping for anything and anywhere when we asked for it. 
xx. Dinesh
How can we miss the hero of this trip! Our Narayanji who drove us safely in winding roads. Actually, it was mostly because of him that we could concentrate on Antakshari, and sleeping inside the tempo-traveler. He may look small but he is a mega factory. I enjoyed listening to him and he was our expert advice while playing KBC.
xx. Narayanji



Forest bee hives

3 D




 


Well, how can I forget another young friend Jini or Ms Jigisha. She is a talent house. She is great at singing. She paints. She has a good knowledge basket. Throughout journey we kept talking, especially during our return while playing KBC I had one of the longest laugh of my life. I had one of the best company with her. I pray her health remains good at all times. And I found she is a selfie-queen. Well, how can I miss taking selfie with her then!
12. Jigisha


On the way back to Haridwar

Alaknanda

With this our trek and the journey neared end. It was an experience that could not be duplicated twice. I secretly enjoyed more than my expectations. This will stay in my memory for a long time to come.A Big thanks and lots of love goes to Jigisha, Manas, Manju, Nancy, Praveen, Rashmi, Ritisha, Siddhartha, Shomila, Sunita, Vandana. Our guides and Narayanji kept us safe and secure with best of their efforts. The organizer needs to be complimented for thinking, enabling and executing such a wonderful, exciting and memorable trip. Thanking the almighty for returning us safely home.
PS: To be in this company you need not be a champion or a record holder. A simple attitude with the ability to respect others would be good enough.
Do get your phone number deregistered from the tourist information system at Rishikesh while returning. Otherwise your phone will be bombarded for long time with SMS whenever any route is blocked/opened. Courtesy: UK-Police!

From Left: Jini, Praveen, Nancy, Rashmi, Manas, Shomila, Ritisha, Sunita, Manju, Vandy, Sid